Lemon Poppy Seed Pound Cake

05 24 09 poppy seed lemon pound cake 082This weekend I made lemon poppy seed pound cake. The recipe calls for a kugelhopf pan, which is similar to a bundt pan. The mini bundt  pan we have makes six mini bundt cakes — perfecting for creating little cakes to gives as gifts.  Since I wanted to cook all the batter at once and the mini bundt pan only used half the batter, I also used a medium-sized bundt pan and a tart pan, yielding little cakes of all shapes and sizes. The hardest part of the recipe was greasing and flouring the pans, but don’t skimp on this step because the success of the final cake depends on being able to come out of its pan.

For Cake
2 cups cake flour (not self-rising)
1/4 cup poppy seeds
1 teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
¼ cup finely grated lemon zest
2 sticks (½ pound) unsalted butter, softened
2 cups granulated sugar
6 large eggs
1 ½ teaspoons vanilla extract
¼ cup whole milk
¼ cup fresh lemon juice

For Glaze
1 cup plus 1 tablespoon confectioners’ sugar
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice

Special Equipment
a 2-quart kugelhopf pan

Make the Cake
Put a rack in middle of oven and preheat oven to 325*F. Butter and flour kugelhopf pan, knocking out excess flour.

Whisk together flour, poppy seeds, baking powder, salt and zest in a bowl. Beat together butter and granulated sugar in a large bowl with an electric mixer at medium speed until pale and fluffy, 2 to 3 minutes. Beat in eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition, then beat in vanilla. Reduce mixer speed to low and add flour mixture, then milk and lemon juice, alternately in 3 batches, beginning and ending with flour mixture, beating until just combined.

Spoon batter into pan and smooth top. Bake until cake is golden brown and a wooden pick or skewer inserted in center comes out clean, 45 to 55 minutes. Cool cake in pan on a rack for 15 minutes, then invert onto rack to cool completely.

Make the Glaze while the Cake Cools
Gradually whisk confectioners’ sugar into lemon juice in a small bowl until smooth and thick.

When cake is cool, set rack over a baking sheet. Drizzle glaze over cake, letting it drip down sides.

Serve cake with strawberries, if desired.

8 Thoughts on “Lemon Poppy Seed Pound Cake

1. lailablogs on May 27, 2009 at 6:34 AM said:

Looks absolutely delicious .. Laila … http://lailablogs.com/

2. andrealein on May 27, 2009 at 10:18 AM said:

Thanks, Laila! It is a very good cake and freezes well too. I definitely recommend it!

3. I don’t have one of those fancy pans, but keep threatening to make something that is in the realm of lemon poppyseed because shhhhh….I never have. This sounds delicious.

4. andrealein on May 28, 2009 at 12:04 AM said:

Kellypea, the fancy pans certainly look pretty, but they really are a hassle to grease and flour! And if by chance you did venture into the realm of lemon poppyseed, I think this cake would be a surefire hit. Happy blogging!

5. chantezaDieu on June 1, 2009 at 12:13 PM said:

I had the honor of eating one~

These cakes ARE fabulous!!

I do have one left and I think I’ll pop in the freezer for later~and perhasp make more frosting for it :-)

6. andrealein on June 1, 2009 at 2:10 PM said:

chantezaDieu — So glad you enjoyed them! Freezing is a great idea and I’m sure making a bit more extra frosting would make them seem a bit fresher after having been frozen. Enjoy!

7. Nimfa on April 20, 2012 at 6:24 PM said:

How much poppy seed should I put? The recipe missed it????

• andrea on May 5, 2012 at 4:22 PM said:

Hi Nimfa, I’m sorry the recipe was more clear on the amount of poppy seeds to add. The answer is 1/4 cup. I’ll revise the ingredient list to make it more clear.